Following a deathly quiet year for LEGO DC in 2022, the Dark Knight – at least – is said to be making a comeback in 2023, although details beyond that broad rumour are few and far between. French retailer Joubec has now listed one of those sets with the codename ‘Batman 1992’, suggesting it will likely be based on Tim Burton’s Batman Returns – but it won’t be a full retail set.
Instead, we’re apparently looking at a 42-piece polybag, numbered 30653. Exactly what those bricks will create is also not certain at this stage, but the possibilities are vast: it could be a brick-built Batmobile, a Penguin minifigure in his duck boat, a brick-built Batmobile, Batman perched atop a stone gargoyle, or even a brick-built Batmobile.
The safe money is on a Batmobile, like so many LEGO Batman polybags before it, and while a minifigure would be nice – especially a brand new one – we wouldn’t sniff at a tiny rendition of 76139 1989 Batmobile. The ’92 version featured in Batman Returns was mostly the same, save for a glossy paint job (vs. matte in 1989’s Batman), which is technically more accurate to LEGO bricks anyway.
On the other hand, the LEGO Group seemingly had enough leftover Michael Keaton Batman minifigures to bring us 854235 Batman Keyring in 2022, so this polybag could be another way to offload remaining supplies of that character (who also appeared in 2020’s 76161 1989 Batwing). We’ll hopefully find out one way or the other fairly soon.
That’s if this set exists at all: while usually reliable, third-party retailers have been known to get things wrong before, so don’t get your hopes up until we get official confirmation from the LEGO Group.
Support the work that Brick Fanatics does by purchasing your LEGO using our affiliate links.
- I like to think of myself as a journalist first, LEGO fan second, but we all know that’s not really the case. Journalism does run through my veins, though, like some kind of weird literary blood – the sort that will no doubt one day lead to a stress-induced heart malfunction. It’s like smoking, only worse. Thankfully, I get to write about LEGO until then.
- Latest09/12/2023Every LEGO Star Wars set retiring in 2024 and beyond – December update
- 2023 in review09/12/2023Brick Fanatics’ top 10 LEGO sets of 2023
- Best Deal09/12/2023Magical discount on the most recent LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle model
- Features08/12/2023Seven retiring LEGO sets to buy with double points (while you still can)