The LEGO Ideas team has shared official images and key product details for the next set to be released, 21311 Voltron.
Fans should get ready for the next LEGO Ideas set – it’s a big one. LEGO Ideas 21311 Voltron is the largest set in the theme so far, and the largest LEGO mech ever released – unsurprising, given the 2,321 pieces it is built from. Even the box for the set is huge, evoking classic toy boxes of the 1980s not only with its size but also its compelling graphics. The set is priced at £159.99 ($179.99), and will be available from July 23 as ‘VIP early access’. For those who prefer the LEGO Group not to track their purchases, the set will be released to everyone on August 1.
The set was confirmed last August, after the original project, designed by Leandro Tayag, had to wait for two review periods before being confirmed. Voltron: Defender of the Universe was an animated TV series that ran in the 1980s, adapted from an animated Japanese anime series. The show saw pilots each piloting a lion robot to defend their futuristic world, with the five machines combining to form Voltron. Dreamworks recently released a remake of the series.
Here is the gallery images and the product description, provided by the LEGO Group:
Build five awesome lions and get ready to form LEGO Ideas 21311 Voltron—the biggest buildable LEGO mech ever! Activate interlocks! Dynotherms connected! Infracells up! Megathrusters are go! Form feet and legs with the blue and yellow lions. Form arms with the red and green lions. And form torso and head with the mighty black lion. Then grab the super robot’s huge sword and shield and form Voltron to defend the universe!
It’s time to defend the universe so get ready to form LEGO Ideas 21311 Voltron, the biggest buildable LEGO mech ever! This awesome set features buildable and highly posable black, blue, yellow, red and green lions with specially designed, extra-strong joints to combine them all and create the Voltron super robot, plus a huge sword and shield that attach firmly to Voltron’s hands. Ideal for display or to recreate thrilling action from the original 1980s animated Voltron TV series and the modern DreamWorks Voltron: Legendary Defender series.
• Features 5 buildable and posable lions that can be transformed and combined to create the giant Voltron super robot.
• Play with the lions individually or combine them using extra-strong joints to form Voltron—the black lion forms the head and torso; the red and green lions form the arms; and the yellow and blue lions form the legs.
• Pose the head, shoulders, arms and wrists of Voltron (legs are not posable).
• Also includes a sword and shield (each with silver-colored elements) that attach firmly to Voltron’s hands.
• Includes a booklet with building instructions, plus information about the set’s fan creator and super force of LEGO® designers.
• Display or play out exciting stories from the original 1980s animated Voltron TV series and the modern DreamWorks Voltron: Legendary Defender series.
• Voltron measures over 15” (40cm) high, 5” (14cm) long and 8” (21cm) wide.
• Black lion measures over 6” (17cm) high, 8” (22cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide.
• Yellow and blue lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 8” (21cm) long and 3” (8cm) wide.
• Green and red lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 7” (18cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide.
• Voltron’s sword measures 11” (29cm) long.
• Voltron’s shield measures 6” (16cm) in diameter.
The current LEGO Ideas sets are available from shop.LEGO.com.