Revealed by the LEGO Group earlier today, 21327 Typewriter takes Steve’s grey replica of the retro writing tool and paints it sand green. And as Brick Fanatics learned at this year’s LEGO Fan Media event, there’s a very specific reason for that colour change.
Speaking during a roundtable session, LEGO designer James May – who brought 21327 Typewriter to life with fellow designer Wes Talbott – explained that sand green wasn’t the first colour the team tried out, but it was the only one that they felt cemented it within a very specific time period.
“There was grey, black [and] dark red, but we thought that this had a nice, classic colour to it, without being a bit more poppy, or too crazy a colour that will make it more like an ‘80s or more modern [typewriter],” James said.
The final decision on 21327 Typewriter’s colour didn’t rest entirely with James and Wes, however. Just as with the majority of LEGO Ideas sets, the fan designer behind the original concept also had a say in how the final product turned out – and in this case, that meant helping to decide on sand green as the model’s main colour.
“We also got input from Steve Guinness,” James confirmed. “We showed him different options, and so he was part of the process for designing the colour as well.”
21327 Typewriter will launch on June 16 for LEGO VIP members with a wider release on July 1. For more details – including its price and piece count – head here, or click here for a full gallery of images.
- I like to think of myself as a journalist first, LEGO fan second, but we all know that’s not really the case. Journalism does run through my veins, though, like some kind of weird literary blood – the sort that will no doubt one day lead to a stress-induced heart malfunction. It’s like smoking, only worse. Thankfully, I get to write about LEGO until then.
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO confirms Speed Champions price rises for 2024
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Harry Potter 2024 UK set prices confirmed
- January 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Marvel 76285 Spider-Man’s Mask available to pre-order now, pricing confirmed
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Spidey and His Amazing Friends 2024 sets revealed