Seven years since the last new release in the LEGO MINDSTORMS theme, the LEGO Group has announced the 51515 Robot Inventor 5-in-1 set. Using new LEGO Powered UP elements, the set takes the theme to a new level technologically, offering the same robotics and coding experience that MINDSTORMS is known for.
The 949 piece set will be available at LEGO.com and other retailers towards the end of the year, priced at £329.99 in the UK and $359.99 in the US.
51515 Robot Inventor offers five different designs for fans to build, which can them be programmed via the MINDSTORMS Robot Inventor app. Beyond the five models with instructions, there are coding challenges to complete that will require users to apply the skills they have learned through the process. Drag-and-drop coding teaches the process, with Python included for advanced coders.
Here are the official descriptions of the five robots included:
- Blast – this master robot is a stoic action hero. It can fire or hammer its way through obstacles and grab items. Builders can be the ultimate commanders, programming it to scan its environment and fire darts if it senses danger. Perfect for guarding your room!
- Charlie – this quirky sidekick helper can give out high fives, dance, play the drums, deliver small gifts, and charm friends with its smile.
- Tricky – the sporty bot is the ultimate athlete. Code it to complete the perfect slam dunk or master a plethora of robot sports: basketball, bowling or soccer – the list goes on and on.
- Gelo – a real life four-legged robot. Its unique mechanism means it can walk, avoid obstacles, and even perform tricks.
- M.V.P. – The Modular Vehicle Platform gets the job done. Create and code your own remote control and build the M.V.P. into a buggy, a crane, a shooter turret or even a brick-eating truck to pick up LEGO bricks left by the other robots.
“Since the launch of LEGO MINDSTORMS over 20 years ago, we’ve been committed to helping children and adults develop STEM skills through play,” says Lena Dixen, Head of Product and Marketing Development at the LEGO Group. “We are extremely excited to introduce a new MINDSTORMS product that offers even more creative opportunities for those of all ages, and we thank our fans for continuing to show us what is possible with LEGO MINDSTORMS. We are continually inspired by the creations the community share with us and hope that the LEGO MINDSTORMS Robot Inventor inspires many more children and playful adults to explore the exciting world of robotics and coding.”
Here are the official details provided by the LEGO Group, including the new elements that fans will find in the box:
- 949 pieces
- 5 unique models to build and code
- The largest robot Blast stands at over 14” (36 cm) tall
- The free LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Robot Inventor coding app for kids uses coding language based on Scratch and supports Python for more advanced coders.
- The application works across PC Windows 10 + macOS, iOS and Android tablets and smartphones as well as specific Fire OS devices.
- New elements include:
new Intelligent Hub is an advanced yet simple-to-use device featuring 6
input/output ports for connecting a variety of sensors and motors. The Hub can
also be used with LEGO Technic and System elements to create fun robots,
dynamic devices and other interactive models.
- LED 5×5 matrix
- Bluetooth connectivity
- 6 axis gyro/accelerometer
- Includes a micro USB port for connectivity with compatible devices
- Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery included
- Colour sensor – able to distinguish between eight colors and measures reflected and ambient light from darkness to bright sunlight
- Distance sensor – detects obstacles, programmable LED ‘eyes’ and an integrated 6-pin adaptor for third-party sensors, boards and DIY hardware.
- 4 x medium-angular motors feature low-profile design, integrated rotation sensor with absolute positioning
- New 7 x 11 teal baseplate
- New black wheels
- New frames
- The new Intelligent Hub is an advanced yet simple-to-use device featuring 6 input/output ports for connecting a variety of sensors and motors. The Hub can also be used with LEGO Technic and System elements to create fun robots, dynamic devices and other interactive models.