The LEGO Group’s latest factory has opened in Jiaxing, China on November 25, 2016. The new facility will produce 70-80% of the LEGO Group’s products for the Asian market and has been designed to work toward the green targets that the company aims to meet by 2020.
Jørgen Vig Knudstorp, President and CEO of the LEGO Group said:
“We have built a state of the art factory in Jiaxing that adheres to the same global production standards as our factories across the world. It will bring great and fun LEGO experiences to even more children in Asia, while delivering on the promise of the LEGO brand: safe and high-quality play.”
Here are some facts about the new factory, that give a sense of scale:
- The factory covers an area of approximately 165,000 m2.
- The land where the factory is located covers 315,000 m2.
- 45,000 m2 area for packing.
- 25,000 m2 manual warehouse.
- 10,000 m2 area for decoration and assembly.
- 35,000 m2 moulding facility.
- 6,500 m2 automated high bay warehouse. 24 metres high with a capacity of more than 400,000 storage boxes.
- More than 1,200 people are currently employed at the factory.
- The investment amounts to a 3-digit million Euro figure.
An interactive website shares more fun information and allows LEGO fans to explore the Jiaxing Factory.