Marcin Dski’s Castle of Lord Afol and the Black Knights has reached 10,000 votes on the platform, so the Ideas team will now decide whether to turn it into an official set. The huge fortress is an ode to the LEGO Group’s Black Knights subtheme, which kicked off in 1988 with 6085 Black Monarch’s Castle, and enjoyed infrequent releases into the mid-’90s.
Each corner of the modular castle sits on its own base, and has two removable floors, for a total of 12 different sub-assemblies. Inside, you’ll find a comfy dining room, ergonomic kitchen, cosy dungeon, and, erm, a quiet torture chamber. (That bit probably won’t make the cut.)
Despite LEGO Ideas’ limit of 3,000 elements surely working against the size of his design, Marcin looks to have successfully incorporated structural integrity, playability and aesthetic detail. “The build uses Pythagorean triangles to connect walls at an angle, while still keeping the build totally legit, solid and sturdy and with zero gaps,” he explains on his project page.
It’s not the only means by which LEGO fans are using Ideas to instigate a return of Castle, however. Frank Boor’s Classic Castle is currently in review, while the next official Ideas set looks certain to be Clemens Fiedler’s Medieval Blacksmith.
This is the fourth LEGO Ideas project to enter the first review of 2021, just three days into the current qualification period, suggesting another record-breaking review could be on the cards. Here’s the full list of projects currently in the running:
Support the work that Brick Fanatics does by purchasing your LEGO through one of our affiliate links.
- I like to think of myself as a journalist first, LEGO fan second, but we all know that’s not really the case. Journalism does run through my veins, though, like some kind of weird literary blood – the sort that will no doubt one day lead to a stress-induced heart malfunction. It’s like smoking, only worse. Thankfully, I get to write about LEGO until then.
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO confirms Speed Champions price rises for 2024
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Harry Potter 2024 UK set prices confirmed
- January 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Marvel 76285 Spider-Man’s Mask available to pre-order now, pricing confirmed
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Spidey and His Amazing Friends 2024 sets revealed