While the new series doesn’t focus on the events of Peter Jackson’s movie trilogy, and instead takes the action back to the Second Age of Middle-earth, the original LEGO The Lord of the Rings sets also launched alongside an adjacent franchise: the trio of movies based on The Hobbit.
The as-yet-untitled television series from Amazon could therefore provide a similar excuse to bring back the highly-coveted LEGO theme, covering products based on both the new show and the classic movies. (We can probably all forget about The Hobbit, though.)
Amazon’s series also promises to feature ‘an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new’, which means returning faces could help to bridge the gap between both subthemes of sets in a potential resurrected LEGO The Lord of the Rings theme – just as Gandalf and Legolas did across the original waves of Rings and Hobbit sets.
The first episode of the new show will debut on Amazon Prime Video on September 2, 2022, which is a long way off yet – production was temporarily halted due to COVID-19 – but also gives the LEGO Group even more time to prepare a resurgence of its The Lord of the Rings sets, should anything like that be in the works. (And we really hope it is.)
- I like to think of myself as a journalist first, LEGO fan second, but we all know that’s not really the case. Journalism does run through my veins, though, like some kind of weird literary blood – the sort that will no doubt one day lead to a stress-induced heart malfunction. It’s like smoking, only worse. Thankfully, I get to write about LEGO until then.
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO confirms Speed Champions price rises for 2024
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Harry Potter 2024 UK set prices confirmed
- January 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Marvel 76285 Spider-Man’s Mask available to pre-order now, pricing confirmed
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Spidey and His Amazing Friends 2024 sets revealed