BrickHammer’s recent fan designer insights into the development of 21343 Viking Village on Reddit have unearthed another secret from the LEGO Ideas user. The fan designer recently revealed on The Lord of the Rings subreddit that 21343 Viking Village has the iconic fantasy franchise to thank for its origins.
“I tried to make LEGO consider turning my LEGO Meduseld into a real LEGO set by submitting it to the LEGO Ideas website,” shares BrickHammer. “Even though I was not successful, I was so inspired by Rohan’s architecture that I designed a Rohan-inspired ‘Viking Village’, which was approved as a set in 2022.”
“I am super happy that the final “Viking Village”, which will be released in October 2023, still features a heavily Meduseld-inspired golden hall! There might be no official LEGO Rohan but this is as close as we can get right now… minus the water of course.”
The Golden Hall of Erodas was uploaded to LEGO Ideas on May 10, 2020, and would go on to inspire Viking Village in July of that year. That in turn would go on to be approved thanks to the Target x LEGO Ideas partnership after being initially rejected in its review round.
The final design may not be a LEGO The Lord of the Rings set similar to 10316 The Lord of the Rings: Rivendell but it’s interesting to see that the franchise’s influence still managed to affect the LEGO Ideas set.
With this reveal in mind, you might want to consider displaying 10316 The Lord of the Rings: Rivendell and 21343 Viking Village side-by-side as the two substantially different models are more alike than you would think.
21343 Viking Village is available now for £124.99 / $129.99 / €139.99 and 10316 The Lord of the Rings: Rivendell is out for £429.99 / $499.99 / €499.99. It’s worth noting the massive selection of LEGO gifts-with-purchase currently available too.
|LEGO gift-with-purchase||Threshold||Dates||Regions||LEGO Insiders only?||In physical LEGO stores?|
|30654 X-Wing Starfighter||LEGO Star Wars orders over $40||Oct 1 to 5||US||No||No|
|40515 Pirates and Treasure VIP Add-on Pack||Orders over £45 / $50 / €50||Oct 1 to 10||UK / EU||No||Yes|
|40596 Magic Maze||Order over £130 / $150 / €150||Oct 1 to 9||UK / US / EU||No||No|
|40608 Halloween Fun VIP Add-On Pack||Orders over £45 / $50 / €50||Oct 1 to 12||UK / US / EU||No||TBC|
|5008162 LEGO Star Wars Collectible: Clone Wars Edition||Only with 75367 Venator||Oct 1 to 8||UK / US / EU||Yes||Yes|
- LEGO has been a part of my life ever since I was young. It all started when my brother passed down 7657 AT-ST to me. It’s guided me through my early years, through school and eventually through my degree in journalism. I still have all my collection proudly on display, including my many NINJAGO sets, my favourite of all the LEGO Group’s themes. Outside of Brick Fanatics I am an avid gamer and enjoy a good game of Dungeons & Dragons.
- Best Deal10/12/2023Amazon LEGO deals: Capture an iconic moment from the Infinity Saga
- January 2024 sets10/12/2023LEGO Friends’ new housing used to look much different
- January 2024 sets10/12/2023Closer look at new LEGO Star Wars Super Battle Droid upgrade
- 2023 in review10/12/2023The 10 biggest LEGO sets of 2023