It looks like the LEGO Group is giving its regular San Diego Comic-Con exclusive sets and minifigures a miss this year, as the event once again takes place in the virtual arena.
This year’s Comic-Con@Home kicks off tomorrow, and plenty of companies – including Diamond, Hallmark and DKE – are still launching exclusive products for the convention, despite having no dedicated physical space to sell them in. The LEGO Group seemingly isn’t among them, however, because we’ve heard absolutely nothing about any exclusive LEGO merch for SDCC 2021.
We’ve had at least one SDCC-exclusive set or minifigure every year since 2008, but last year’s sets – including 77905 Taskmaster’s Ambush and 77906 Wonder Woman – ended up on regular store shelves in the US after the pandemic put paid to the in-person convention.
Exhibitors and attendees had a little more lead time on that cancellation this year, however, as the organisers behind SDCC announced back in March that the event wouldn’t return physically until 2022 at the earliest (beyond a smaller convention in November).
The LEGO Group will still be in attendance at SDCC 2021, which means there’s a good chance we’ll see at least one or two new products revealed this weekend. And given the convention’s obvious comic-book ties, could that mean the long-rumoured Marvel Collectible Minifigures series is on the cards?
We’ll find out for sure over the next few days. San Diego Comic-Con 2021 runs from July 23 to 25, and you’ll be able to tune in here.
- I like to think of myself as a journalist first, LEGO fan second, but we all know that’s not really the case. Journalism does run through my veins, though, like some kind of weird literary blood – the sort that will no doubt one day lead to a stress-induced heart malfunction. It’s like smoking, only worse. Thankfully, I get to write about LEGO until then.
- Latest09/12/2023Every LEGO Star Wars set retiring in 2024 and beyond – December update
- 2023 in review09/12/2023Brick Fanatics’ top 10 LEGO sets of 2023
- Best Deal09/12/2023Magical discount on the most recent LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle model
- Features08/12/2023Seven retiring LEGO sets to buy with double points (while you still can)