Best known for playing Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter, actor Sir Michael Gambon has died at the age of 82.
Following a six-decade-long career in film, TV, and stage, Sir Michael Gambon has passed away, as confirmed by his widow Lady Gambon and their son Fergus in a statement. The actor died peacefully in hospital with his family, following a bout of pneumonia.
“We are devastated to announce the loss of Sir Michael Gambon,” read the public statement from his family, as reported by Sky News. “Beloved husband and father, Michael died peacefully in hospital with his wife Anne and son Fergus at his bedside, following a bout of pneumonia.”
Known as the Great Gambon in acting circles, Sir Michael was best known for his role as Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films, taking over from Richard Harris in 2003. However, he had a varied career throughout the decades, winning three Olivier awards for performances for his work on stage in National Theatre productions and taking on roles in high-profile films like Dad’s Army, The King’s Speech and Gosford Park. Sir Michael was also nominated for Emmy awards for his role as Mr Woodhouse in an adaptation of Jane Austen’s Emma in 2010, and for playing President Lyndon B. Johnson in Path to War in 2002, as well as receiving a Tony nomination in 1997 for a role in David Hare play Skylight.
Tributes have begun pouring in on social media, including well wishes from the official Harry Potter X (formerly Twitter) account and James Phelps, who played Fred Weasley alongside Sir Michael in the Harry Potter films.
Featured image: Warner Bros.
- I write about all the very best fandoms – and that means LEGO, of course. Spending so much time looking at and talking about LEGO sets is dangerous for my bank balance, but the LEGO shelves are thriving. You win some, you lose some.
- Best Deal09/12/2023Every LEGO Star Wars set in Barnes & Noble’s huge sale
- Features09/12/2023LEGO Fortnite dos and don’ts to master the new game mode
- News09/12/2023LEGO MASTERS 2024 will feature an allstars international competition
- Best Deal09/12/2023Save on new and retiring LEGO sets when you use this code at John Lewis