LEGO MASTERS is heading to New Zealand in 2022 in the next stop on its quest for global television domination.
The competitive brick-building show has already conquered 14 different territories since debuting on Channel 4 in the UK, including the US, Australia, Germany, France, Denmark and Poland, and is showing no signs of slowing down.
Parent company Banijay has now put pen to paper on a deal with state-owned New Zealand broadcaster TVNZ for its latest spin-off. Canadian LEGO Certified Professional Robin Sather will be on judging duties.
“I know that there are a lot of amazing LEGO fans in New Zealand, so I’m excited to have the opportunity to showcase your amazing Kiwi LEGO builders!” Robin told the NZ Herald. “We’re going to have a lot of fun together!”
Cate Slater, TVNZ’s director of content, added: “We’re thrilled to bring audiences our very own local version, with Brickmaster Robin at the helm as judge.
“LEGO has been an integral part of Kiwis’ homes for generations, inspiring creativity and family fun. That ethos fits perfectly with TVNZ 2 and we’re looking forward to seeing the amazing talent and LEGO creations to be built brick-by-brick here in Aotearoa in 2022.”
It doesn’t sound like LEGO MASTERS New Zealand will be the last stop on the show’s worldwide tour, either. Banijay’s global head of content operations Lucas Green told Deadline that the company’s output – 75% of which focuses on unscripted shows like LEGO MASTERS – is perfectly suited to the unprecedented conditions of the past 18 months.
“Unscripted is more robust to the pandemic, because you can easily swap in reserve contestants and put people in the bubble,” he explained. “You haven’t got to lock down if a key director or key talent tests positive [for coronavirus].”
Applications for LEGO MASTERS New Zealand are open now.
- I like to think of myself as a journalist first, LEGO fan second, but we all know that’s not really the case. Journalism does run through my veins, though, like some kind of weird literary blood – the sort that will no doubt one day lead to a stress-induced heart malfunction. It’s like smoking, only worse. Thankfully, I get to write about LEGO until then.
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO confirms Speed Champions price rises for 2024
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Harry Potter 2024 UK set prices confirmed
- January 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Marvel 76285 Spider-Man’s Mask available to pre-order now, pricing confirmed
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Spidey and His Amazing Friends 2024 sets revealed