Enterprising sellers are already attempting to cash in on the sold-out LEGO BrickLink Designer Program sets over on eBay.
Such is the nature of the collectible market that any limited-edition item invariably ends up on the auction site within hours of selling out, and the first round of sets from the BrickLink Designer Program are no exception. Five of the sets have reached the funding goal of 3,000 backers, meaning they’ll now enter production, while three of those have already maxed out at 5,000 pre-orders.
Daniel Van Zonneveld’s 910001 The Castle in the Forest was the first to sell out, and can now be found on eBay for more than three times its original price of £132.99. One buy-it-now listing has already sold for ‘best offer’, but was originally up for an eye-watering £449.00. The only other UK auction is listed at £445.99, while one US seller is hoping to fetch $825 (or just under £600) for their pre-ordered copy.
EdouardClo’s 910010 The Great Fishing Boat – the second BrickLink Designer Program to sell out – is also up for grabs on the secondary marketplace (somewhat ironically, given it was another secondary marketplace that brought it to life in the first place) for an incredible $1,000 AUD (or £543) from one ambitious Australian seller.
It should be noted that none of these sellers actually have the products in hand at the moment, though. The first batch of BrickLink Designer Program sets won’t go into production until September, with shipping starting in December 2021 and January 2022. At the time of writing, two of the sets – 910028 Pursuit of Flight and 910017 Kakapo – are still available to pre-order in certain regions.
- I like to think of myself as a journalist first, LEGO fan second, but we all know that’s not really the case. Journalism does run through my veins, though, like some kind of weird literary blood – the sort that will no doubt one day lead to a stress-induced heart malfunction. It’s like smoking, only worse. Thankfully, I get to write about LEGO until then.
- 10326 Natural History Museum29/11/2023LEGO Icons 10326 Natural History Museum – before you buy
- 21344 Orient Express29/11/2023Good news: the LEGO Orient Express can be motorised after all
- News28/11/2023You won’t find a LEGO collection more unique (or obscure) than this
- 21344 Orient Express28/11/2023LEGO says Orient Express’s fan designer was ‘very happy’ with the finished product