The LEGO Group and BrickLink have admitted that a glitch in their systems allowed fans to pre-order 10,000 copies of The Castle in the Forest – twice the predetermined limit.
The five successful projects in the first round of crowdfunding were capped at 5,000 pre-orders each, with four of them selling out within the first 24 hours. Only Hayden Pye’s 910017 Kakapo remains available to order, and only in South Korea, as every other region’s allocation has already sold out.
However, the BrickLink team has now shared that thanks to an ‘ordering glitch’, fans were able to purchase an additional 5,000 copies of Daniel Van Zonneveld’s 910001 The Castle in the Forest, which brings the total number of orders up to 10,000.
Rather than cancelling half of those orders, though, the LEGO Group and BrickLink have instead committed to producing twice the originally-planned number of sets. That means everyone who ordered one (or up to five) copies of The Castle in the Forest will receive their set(s).
To even things out – and give more fans a shot at picking up the rest of the successful first-round projects, which are all based on rejected LEGO Ideas concepts – pre-orders for 910010 The Great Fishing Boat, 910016 Sheriff’s Safe, 910017 Kakapo and 910028 Pursuit of Flight will re-open on August 3, with an extra 5,000 sets up for grabs.
Limits for the second and third crowdfunding rounds will then increase accordingly to 10,000 copies per successful set. Increasing production does mean delaying those rounds, however, while the additional first-round sets will only ship in June 2022 (five months after the initial batch).
BrickLink has also addressed concerns around scalpers snapping up sets to sell on secondary platforms such as eBay, and says it will take appropriate action in future crowdfunding rounds.
- I like to think of myself as a journalist first, LEGO fan second, but we all know that’s not really the case. Journalism does run through my veins, though, like some kind of weird literary blood – the sort that will no doubt one day lead to a stress-induced heart malfunction. It’s like smoking, only worse. Thankfully, I get to write about LEGO until then.
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO confirms Speed Champions price rises for 2024
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Harry Potter 2024 UK set prices confirmed
- January 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Marvel 76285 Spider-Man’s Mask available to pre-order now, pricing confirmed
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Spidey and His Amazing Friends 2024 sets revealed