Price: £24.99 / $29.99 / €29.99 Pieces: 312 Available: Now
This lower priced set is distinguished from the rest of The LEGO NINJAGO Movie theme, as among technologically advanced builds this is much more rustic, representing an isolated rope bridge and hint of a temple. Does this set, with old adversaries Lord Garmadon and Master Wu included, offer something worth picking up?
I grew up on the educational children show Seasame Street. Among learning the alphabet and numbers up to ten in Spanish, there was a regular segment titled, ‘one of these things is not like the other’. Several objects would be displayed on screen, all but one of which had a similarity. If the segment was resurrected especially for The LEGO NINJAGO Movie theme, then 70608 Master Falls would be the set that doesn’t belong.
Right out of the gate I must put forward a major caveat, at the time of this writing The LEGO NINJAGO Movie has not yet been released. So 70608 does not currently have the benefit of context – perhaps its dramatic departure from the aesthetic of the other The LEGO NINJAGO Movie sets will be explained. That said, I feel qualified to pass judgement on this set even so because itis the latest in a long line of bridge sets stretching back to the early 1990s.
The problem with these bridges is that they are boring without the castle. Paired with a castle they become really cool, but the whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts. The LEGO Group released a rash of these pairings in the 1990s and even into the 2000s as part of primarily the Castle theme, but also Pirates and original Ninja theme. It seems that in the movie, Master Falls will lead to the Temple of the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon. As a pairing, they do work well together.
But Master Falls is dull on its own. Bridges are landmarks that adventurers cross on the way to an objective, they are never the objective themselves. Aside from being a cool place for an interim fight, they have no real place on their own. Considering one can get Nya’s awesome 70611 Water Strider for the same amount in the US and only a little more in the UK, this set doesn’t even stand out at its price point. The best thing that 70608 has going for it is that it is currently the cheapest set to include both Lord Garmadon and Sensei Wu. However, both of those are available as Collectible Minifigures soon so even that advantage is mitigated.
It should come as no surprise in light of all this that my recommendation on 70608 Master Falls is to only get this set if you have 70617 Temple of the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon. Perhaps there will be some redemption for Master Falls in the form of an awesome fight scene in the film, but even that will not be able to rescue it from the curse of being in the LEGO bridge only family.
This product was provided for review by the LEGO Group.
More The LEGO NINJAGO Movie reviews:
- When I was 3 years old my dad bought home 6659 TV Camera Crew as a gift — he had no idea what he had just unleashed. Three decades and no dark age later, I am still going strong. My love of LEGO led me to a career in Civil Engineering and I am now raising three budding LEGO lovers with my lovely wife who is, bless her, a huge supporter of my brick addiction. When not writing for Brick Fanatics or fulfilling my duties as the U.S. Editor of Blocks Magazine I enjoy collecting, MOCing, exhibiting, as well as running, climbing and home improvement.
- Reviews02/06/2019LEGO Creator Expert 10266 NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander review
- Reviews09/01/2019LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 76113 Spider-Man Bike Rescue review
- Reviews09/01/2019LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 76133 Spider-Man Car Chase review
- Reviews08/01/2019LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 76134 Spider-Man Doc Ock Diamond Heist review