The first trailer for Deadpool & Wolverine has dropped online, giving us a first glimpse at this year’s only Marvel Cinematic Universe movie.
2024 will mark the first time since 2012 that Marvel Studios has only released one MCU film in a calendar year, and it will be for a character who has previously – and famously – stood outside the labyrinth of the interconnected superhero universe. But with Disney’s acquisition of Fox, Deadpool is now joining the MCU at the third time of asking in Deadpool & Wolverine.
It doesn’t look like he’s being toned down for the occasion, though. A first teaser for the July release suggests Disney is leaning into the sardonic, sarcastic and adult humour that has defined Ryan Reynolds’ take on the wisecracking supe, without trimming the fat – or clamping down on the meta winks to camera littered through the first two Deadpool movies.
In fact, the entire crux of Wade Wilson’s introduction to the MCU appears to be through the lens of the TVA – from the Loki series, do keep up – as Deadpool proclaims himself to be ‘Marvel Jesus’, coming to fix the MCU. Matthew Macfadyen’s Paradox posits that as being ‘a hero among heroes’, but Deadpool quips that the ‘cinematic universe is about to change forever’, and it doesn’t take a cynic to read that as Marvel hoping to repair its floundering franchise.
The Marvels debuted in November to a tepid response from audiences, pulling in the worst box office opening weekend of any MCU movie to date – lower than even MCU-adjacent The Incredible Hulk and the original Ant-Man. Marvel Studios will now be hoping to right the ship with Deadpool & Wolverine, but it will face an uphill battle from a merchandising perspective.
And that’s bad news for the LEGO Group, which has relied on a steady stream of Marvel Cinematic Universe instalments for its LEGO Marvel theme over the past decade and change. Deadpool & Wolverine is not shaping up to be a film with the LEGO Group’s primary target audience front and centre, so don’t hold your breath for any tie-in sets this summer.
Deadpool & Wolverine arrives in cinemas on July 26, 2024.
Support the work that Brick Fanatics does by purchasing your LEGO using our affiliate links.
- I like to think of myself as a journalist first, LEGO fan second, but we all know that’s not really the case. Journalism does run through my veins, though, like some kind of weird literary blood – the sort that will no doubt one day lead to a stress-induced heart malfunction. It’s like smoking, only worse. Thankfully, I get to write about LEGO until then.
- Latest21/02/2024Every LEGO set coming in March 2024 – Star Wars, Speed Champions and more
- News21/02/2024Super-rare gold LEGO BIONICLE mask back up for auction
- 10332 Medieval Town Square20/02/2024LEGO Icons 10332 Medieval Town Square review
- News20/02/2024The Deadpool & Wolverine trailer gets an ‘incredible’ LEGO remix