Demand for one of the rarest LEGO animals around reached fever pitch in 2021, when the LEGO Group passed up the chance to bring it back in 21325 Medieval Blacksmith. Instead, the LEGO Ideas set swapped out the goat in fan designer Clemens Fiedler’s original pitch for a husky dog, much to the chagrin of the fan community.
The reason behind the ire mostly appears to stem from the price of LEGO goats on the aftermarket, which is pretty substantial – but also not that surprising, given the animals were only available in a single set, 2011’s Kingdoms 7189 Mill Village Raid. When 21325 Medieval Blacksmith was unveiled last year, the LEGO Ideas design team explained that the company knows the goat is sought-after, but the original mould has been retired.
That doesn’t mean the LEGO Group couldn’t come up with an entirely new mould, though. It could be one that offers a new approach to LEGO goats – or it could simply use the same design standards of the original goat, which still holds up very well some 12 years on. Either one would likely satisfy those calling for the animal’s return, and this summer could be the perfect opportunity to deliver it in an official set.
Online retailer electricBricks published listings for 17 new LEGO CITY 2022 sets earlier this week, and among them are three sets seemingly anchored around a new farm subtheme: 60344 Hen House, 60345 Farmer’s Market Van and 60346 Barn and Farm Animals. None of them are particularly substantial (60345 is the biggest at 310 pieces), but that could just mean the focus is on the animals.
Those products are listed for release in July, so it’ll likely be a while before we learn more about them – and whether they do indeed include any goats. Until then, you’ll have to resort to BrickLink, where a single goat will currently set you back at least £49.10 (plus shipping). Fingers crossed a new version brings that price down soon…
- I like to think of myself as a journalist first, LEGO fan second, but we all know that’s not really the case. Journalism does run through my veins, though, like some kind of weird literary blood – the sort that will no doubt one day lead to a stress-induced heart malfunction. It’s like smoking, only worse. Thankfully, I get to write about LEGO until then.
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO confirms Speed Champions price rises for 2024
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Harry Potter 2024 UK set prices confirmed
- January 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Marvel 76285 Spider-Man’s Mask available to pre-order now, pricing confirmed
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Spidey and His Amazing Friends 2024 sets revealed