While the LEGO Group is certainly not alone in bypassing The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power – there’s basically no merch out there at all – it is apparently aiming to capitalise on the series’ renewed popularity in 2023, resurrecting its long-dormant adventures into Middle-earth. The original Lord of the Rings LEGO sets arrived on shelves in 2012 and 2013 alongside the first two The Hobbit movies, but we’ve had nothing in the years between.
That could be about to change, however, as Promobricks reports that LEGO The Lord of the Rings will return as early as January 2023. That’s the good news – the bad news is that it’s seemingly only going to be through a pair of BrickHeadz double-packs for now. Those are said to consist of 40630 Frodo and Gollum and 40631 Balrog and Gandalf, retailing for €14.99 and €19.99 respectively.
According to the same source, no traditional LEGO The Lord of the Rings play sets are currently on the cards, so it’s perhaps not quite the comeback many of us were anticipating. There is one ray of hope, though: a Lord of the Rings direct-to-consumer set may also be in the works, which could yet see the return of Middle-earth minifigures to production lines. Or it could be a life-sized bust of Gimli.
Promobricks is apparently less certain on the status of that D2C, so take it with a huge grain of salt for now. Likewise the two BrickHeadz sets, really: at this stage, they’re still only a rumour, so the return of LEGO The Lord of the Rings is by no means guaranteed. But if it does eventually come back proper, there’s plenty of material left for the LEGO Group to recreate.
For now, here’s a quick round-up of every LEGO The Lord of the Rings set rumoured for 2023:
|Set name||Price||Pieces||Release date|
|40630 Frodo and Gollum||€14.99||TBC||January 1, 2023|
|40631 Balrog and Gandalf||€14.99||TBC||January 1, 2023|
|TBC [D2C]||TBC||TBC||TBC 2023|
Support the work that Brick Fanatics does by purchasing your LEGO using our affiliate links.
- I like to think of myself as a journalist first, LEGO fan second, but we all know that’s not really the case. Journalism does run through my veins, though, like some kind of weird literary blood – the sort that will no doubt one day lead to a stress-induced heart malfunction. It’s like smoking, only worse. Thankfully, I get to write about LEGO until then.
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO confirms Speed Champions price rises for 2024
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Harry Potter 2024 UK set prices confirmed
- January 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Marvel 76285 Spider-Man’s Mask available to pre-order now, pricing confirmed
- March 2024 sets01/12/2023LEGO Spidey and His Amazing Friends 2024 sets revealed