Originally conceived by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1924, the classic red telephone box can still be spotted throughout the UK, but most prominently in London. And while its intended purpose might be outdated and mostly irrelevant today, it’s still memorable and iconic enough to have made its way to the second 2022 review on LEGO Ideas.
That’s courtesy of John Cramp, who has now seen four of his projects propelled to the review stage on the crowdsourcing platform. His first three – each of which aped the LEGO Group’s own modular building format – fell at the final hurdle, so he’s changed his approach for what would surely be a more unique set, should it get the green light.
His 1,856-piece telephone box (which, unsurprisingly, isn’t minifigure-scale) also includes a slice of street scenery, with another British icon – the red post box – and a street lamp with hanging baskets. Inside the phone booth itself, you’ll find a detailed interior, complete with an information board, a ‘keep calm and carry on’ poster, and (of course) a vintage telephone.
It’s as quintessentially British a build as you’ll likely find on LEGO Ideas, but given the LEGO Group has already embraced a few cultural icons from this side of the Atlantic – such as 10258 London Bus and 10253 Big Ben – there’s nothing to say Cramp’s telephone box won’t also make the cut.
We’ll find out for sure when the results of the second 2022 review are announced, which is some way off yet. For now, the Red London Telephone Box joins 23 other projects in this round, the qualifying period for which closes in September. Here’s the full rundown to date:
Red London Telephone Box
Medieval Guarded Inn
Sikorsky S-70i Firehawk Cal Fire Edition
The Krusty Krab – Spongebob Squarepants
Traditional Japanese Village
University of Brickester
The Art Center
The World of Civil Engineering: Types of Bridges
LEGO Mushroom House
Working Polaroid Sun 600 LMS
Jim Henson’s Labyrinth: Escher Room
Lisbon Tram (Elétrico De Lisboa)
Fishing in the Muddy Waters
Escape Game: Carter’s Secret
Auto Repair Garage 1930s
Motorized Steampunk Ship
Indiana Jones, Raiders Of The Lost Ark – 40th Anniversary
Lilo & Stitch: Beach House
- I like to think of myself as a journalist first, LEGO fan second, but we all know that’s not really the case. Journalism does run through my veins, though, like some kind of weird literary blood – the sort that will no doubt one day lead to a stress-induced heart malfunction. It’s like smoking, only worse. Thankfully, I get to write about LEGO until then.
- Latest21/02/2024Every LEGO set coming in March 2024 – Star Wars, Speed Champions and more
- News21/02/2024Super-rare gold LEGO BIONICLE mask back up for auction
- 10332 Medieval Town Square20/02/2024LEGO Icons 10332 Medieval Town Square review
- News20/02/2024The Deadpool & Wolverine trailer gets an ‘incredible’ LEGO remix