Prolific fan builder Jaroslaw Ksiazczyk, also known as Jerac – and whose name you might recognise from his countless LEGO Star Wars custom builds, including his phenomenal Imperial Star Destroyer Chimaera – is the brains behind the LEGO Sony Walkman, which also includes a buildable tape and headphones. It all comes in at a relatively modest size, which Ksiazczyk says could make for an ‘interesting and cheap’ Ideas set.
He’s opted for bright red as the Walkman’s primary colour, but suggests on the project page that ‘more could be produced’ – perhaps in the same vein as 21329 Fender Stratocaster, which includes elements to build its guitar in either red or black. The real WM-22 was originally sold in red, blue, white and black, and found success in the early ’80s by combining a low price with a premium brand.
“There are also [a] few cool tricks to discover for the builders, be it unexpected building direction changes or unusual techniques used here and there,” Ksiazczyk adds. “Though, some of those would probably raise an eyebrow of the designer should this actually go into production.”
It’s taken exactly 13 months for the Walkman to rack up enough supporters to progress to the next phase, which means it now joins 30 other projects in the second 2022 review. The LEGO Group’s own penchant for brick-built retro objects – such as 71374 Nintendo Entertainment System and the rumoured 10306 Atari 50th Anniversary Gaming Console – could bolster its chances come review time, but we won’t find out either way for a good while yet.
For now, here’s a complete recap of every LEGO Ideas project in the second 2022 review so far:
Gravity Falls – The Mystery Shack
The Great Wave off Kanagawa
The Old Train Engine Shed
Red London Telephone Box
Medieval Guarded Inn
Sikorsky S-70i Firehawk Cal Fire Edition
The Krusty Krab – Spongebob Squarepants
Traditional Japanese Village
University of Brickester
The Art Center
The World of Civil Engineering: Types of Bridges
LEGO Mushroom House
Working Polaroid Sun 600 LMS
Jim Henson’s Labyrinth: Escher Room
Lisbon Tram (Elétrico De Lisboa)
Fishing in the Muddy Waters
Escape Game: Carter’s Secret
Auto Repair Garage 1930s
Motorized Steampunk Ship
Indiana Jones, Raiders Of The Lost Ark – 40th Anniversary
Lilo & Stitch: Beach House
- I like to think of myself as a journalist first, LEGO fan second, but we all know that’s not really the case. Journalism does run through my veins, though, like some kind of weird literary blood – the sort that will no doubt one day lead to a stress-induced heart malfunction. It’s like smoking, only worse. Thankfully, I get to write about LEGO until then.
- March 2024 sets04/03/2024LEGO Ideas Snow White designer feels ‘let down’ by the LEGO Group
- News04/03/2024LEGO teases ‘surprises’ for Mario Day 2024: ‘Something is coming’
- News04/03/2024LEGO Mario Day 2024 deals available now – double points, 40% off
- March 2024 sets03/03/2024LEGO Speed Champions 76921 Audi S1 e-tron quattro review